House Price Crash Forum

Bury St Edmunds

pootle

HOLA441

I used to live in Balsham, much closer to Cambridge but similar prices, used to go Six Mile Bottom and round to science park. A14 west of Cambridge is only for suicides. BSE has some nice villages south of it like Bradfield St George etc.. Walking in Bradfield Woods would make up for any rubbish commute during the week. I drive for an hour and ten minutes just to spend time in those woods.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA442

I used to live in Balsham, much closer to Cambridge but similar prices, used to go Six Mile Bottom and round to science park. A14 west of Cambridge is only for suicides. BSE has some nice villages south of it like Bradfield St George etc.. Walking in Bradfield Woods would make up for any rubbish commute during the week. I drive for an hour and ten minutes just to spend time in those woods.

Cheers, I drive through Balsham as part of my commute at the moment. The road between it and Six Mile Bottom is probably the only good driver's road in the area IMO!

Yes, the science park/Milton side of the A14 are crazy - a few people in my office commute in from Camborne, I would suspect their commute is much worse than one from Bury.

• 1 month later...
HOLA443

I have recently relocated from Bristol to Cambridge (now working at the Science Park). I am renting in Swavesey.

During Jul/Aug the commute along the A14 was OK, but come Sep It became just a big traffic jam where the A14/M11 splits. I tried the commute going through the village route, but this was very variable with a bad queue back through Histon one morning.

I am wanting to buy to the NW, outside of Cambridge (as prices in Cambridge are even more silly than Bristol!). Unfortunately this probably means living with the A14 until the road works complete (next year???). The NW location is important as I need to get up north via the A1.

For the past 2 months I have spent every lunchtime on Rightmove. I had my eye on a few properties which stuck around for a while, but then the nicer ones started going SSTC a few weeks ago.

Certainly if you are OK with a commute of 30 minutes (without traffic) then even to the NW you are getting better value for your money than an equivalent property on the outskirts of Bristol. One nice thing of this area is that quite a few villages have VirginMedia (for high speed broadband) which includes Swavesey.

I have seen Cambourne properties on RM, but I have not yet had time to visit. Strangely only the central part is wired up for VM.

HOLA444