interestrateripoff

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

456 posts in this topic

Nope, I got fed up of recording what I found, plus I ended up putting any loose change in the pot that I had.

Although I think barring finding notes I probably find as much as rantnrave about £50-£60 a year. Getting notes if your lucky really boosts that total and can really skew the figures. In 2 days I once found £50 that doesn't happen too often, notes wise I've managed to find over £100 since I started this thread.

So mortgage wise I've paid off at least £200 doing this, which I don't think is too bad a return.

You ned an app for that so you can record all the places you found stuff and how much it was. Then your subscribers will pay to see where people have luck in finding change.

You can pop my royalties for that idea in the post.

I'm a pharisee here and account for every penny I spend. I have not lost any money during the last five years - fact. Most of my purchases are by credit card so I can get the points and pay off the card later the next month whilst earning interest in the meantime.

Latest inspired places for finding money...

• £1 found down the back of the sofa in the pub
  • Coin machines in supermarkets that turn loose change into a coupon - usually stuff round the sides underneath. Last time I could do this when no-one was around I netted a £2 coin and lots of Euro shrapnel!
  • Return coin slots of car park ticket machines. Walked past one the other day; quick check resulted in 55p.

Local swimming pool has changed their lockers and you don't get your money back now! The new lockers cost £1 - bad news if you get to the shower area and found you forgot to bring your shampoo! Valuable source of income now gone :(.

Easy solution - just change in your car, and go into the leisure centre already dressed for swinning. No towel / locker required.

Easy solution - just change in your car, and go into the leisure centre already dressed for swinning. No towel / locker required.

I take the correct amount to pay for the session - no other cash. My wallet and mobile stay at home. So, there's only clothes in my locker, and being an ardent HPCer, I don't splash out (pun intended) on the latest fashion...

Found a fat, bulging wallet once. Turned out to contain a photograph of Eric Pickles.

I've got half a dozen pre-1940 silver UK coins. These are supposed to have a very high silver content. But how do I turn them into real cash?

I've got half a dozen pre-1940 silver UK coins. These are supposed to have a very high silver content. But how do I turn them into real cash?

Ebay or coin dealer?

First big find of the year. Just found £20 in the pub.

:angry:

That'll be your round then...

Edited by rantnrave

Finished up with £20.27 for the evening.

Came back with more money than I went out with. Love evenings like that.

So overall this year I'll have paid off around £30.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120329/coin-story-ontario-120329/20120329/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Five million quids worth of coins all over the road?

Why aren't rant'nrave and interestrateripoff over there in Canada?

But give that "a significant number of coins have yet to be recovered", said police..."

Have they already been there?

Edited by juvenal

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120329/coin-story-ontario-120329/20120329/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Five million quids worth of coins all over the road?

Why aren't rant'nrave and interestrateripoff over there in Canada?

But give that "a significant number of coins have yet to be recovered", said police..."

Have they already been there?

:D

Just found £5 and 20p to add to my huge 1p find last nite.

Eyes like a peregrine falcon...

The past couple of weeks have been good I've managed to find a £1 coin every week for the past 3. Was paying some more cash in yesterday and found another £1 coin and 1p going to the bank.

Found another 1p today.

My luck with £1 coins is continuing went for a run last night and found £1.06.

So for this week I'm up around £2.20.

So for this week I'm up around £2.20.

Impressive (and a highly entertaining thread!). That would set you on track for >£100 in a year if it was always like that! :D

Impressive (and a highly entertaining thread!). That would set you on track for >£100 in a year if it was always like that! :D

Any opinions on future trends? As the talons of recession tighten, will folks be more careful in handling their money?

Or will The Olympics bring a flood of free-spending foreigners to our shores who disdain to retrieve dropped cash?

Any opinions on future trends? As the talons of recession tighten, will folks be more careful in handling their money?

Some people certainly don't value small change 1p/2p/5p really aren't seen as money and people will happily chuck them on the floor, more I think of people in their teens / early 20's.

Whether that continues is another matter. People don't see the accumulative effect of disposing of these coins.