House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441
  • Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Someone kindly left a Ten Pound note on the street for me yesterday. First note for a while... £25 for the year to date is looking healthy though!

That might have been for an orphanage fund.

There will be no orphanage this year, I'll inform the children.

HOLA443

IRRO, Maybe you could branch out: metal cans on the street and taken down the scrap metal merchants will bring you cash.

Found a earing the other day, hoped for gold and found it was cheap costume jewellery so went in the bin. It's been a dreadful opening start to the year. I think my problem is I'm not walking home past any schools as I did before and I'm sure this contactless crap doesn't help either.

HOLA444

I'm sure this contactless crap doesn't help either.

This is true. While we've been knotted with angst over privacy, the real threat of the cashless society is to the modern day gleaners.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

BTW. I must thank this thread for turning me into a miserly street-scourer. I laughed at you at first but now I can't help myself. It's become a game I can't stop. I have even been known to get off my bike to rescue dropped silver from the gutter.

I stopped my bike for a tuppence the other day. I do wonder if I wore more than 2p worth of material off my brake pads as I waqs doing about 15mph at the time. Probably not though, £1.99 a pair from Decathlon.

Anyway street scroungers, another thing to keep your eye open while you're out and about- McDonalds' are doing their annual Monopoly promotion at the moment- they put stickers on drinks, chip packets and the like which you peel to reveal instant wins or monopoly squares. A frankly astonishing number of people are so drunk, distracted or just plain uncurious that they don't bother to peel them off and check them before they litter the streets with their food packaging. I've never managed to win anything other than free food and drink, but I personally like Big Macs and Apply Pies and I'm certainly not going to argue with a free one. And there are genuinely big prizes to be won, like £100,000 cash. If anyone finds that sticker on the street please feel free to put some of it in my hat in exchange for the tip! :P

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Just 5p scored outside the Co-op.

But a charming young woman manning an RSPB 'chugging' stand outside the store saw me pause, and then stoop to collect the bounty. This was the cue for her sales 'pitch'.

I rapidly and adroitly deflected this into a discussion on Britain's declining stag beetle population; territorialism in male robins, and her interesting past career as a lemur keeper at a local primate rescue centre. Then onto peregrine falcon nesting patterns, and the elusiveness of the Dartford Warbler, despite the prevalence of gorse in the area.

The cold wind sent me homeward eventually, clutching my reduced shelf Co-op hot cross buns, but the warmth of our avian exchanges lingered with me for some time..

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Found a Two Pound coin today - very rare that happens. Shaping up to be the best month in years...

Actually I found one this week in the footwell of a car, behind the drivers seat......worth a quick look if ever travelling in a rear seat of a vehicle..... back of the sofa, back of any seat.;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I have been spending my evenings hanging out by the bins in McD's

lots of free apple pies and hash browns. no more food bills. Often people don't even finish their meals!

I reckon you're joking, but I did actually go and raid the bins at an out-of-the-way drive-thru McD at 1am when the promo was on a couple of years ago. It was like hitting the motherlode. I do the bins at the bus garage as well, but I very rarely get to work there nowadays.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I don't think I've ever found one. A very large coin so easy to spot.

I found one on the pavement once - turns out it was superglued to the concrete. Little feckers. I was tempted to return with my lump hammer and coal chisel, but it was out of my way.

HOLA4423
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425