House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441

If my childhood recollection of the '80s recession is anything to go by they'll be chucking it all over, I recon that because money is so tight they spend more time pulling it out to check how much they have left and therefor lose more in the process.

I don't carry cash so I never have that problem. :P

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Poor week so far only found 23p.

Clearly its the wrong kind of sunshine.

Could be too much glare. There maybe a market for some special glasses to aid the coin hunter...

I found a small 1 cent Maltese coin this week. It has what a looks like a ferret on one side. Doesn't say much for Malta...

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

But doesn't that get complicated if you find something really old and valuable? For example Roman coins?

ive allways fancied a metal detector, just never got around to it. They aint cheap 1000 quid for a decent starter one that would be worth having. One day i will get one

HOLA448

ive allways fancied a metal detector, just never got around to it. They aint cheap 1000 quid for a decent starter one that would be worth having. One day i will get one

Are you trying to get me to have a heart attack? I'm doing something that's got zero setup costs and you are wanting me to spend £1k on something that might not generate any returns apart from can lids? :P:lol:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Are you trying to get me to have a heart attack? I'm doing something that's got zero setup costs and you are wanting me to spend £1k on something that might not generate any returns apart from can lids? :P:lol:

Nah, a decent one for coin hunting after fairs festivals etc would be no more than £100. My kids go down after the bonfire night celebrations, normally find £20-30.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

yes a cheapo one can be had for £100 quid, which would probably do for coin gathering. i bet you would have it paid back sharpish then its profit all the way. there are loads of places worth doing, parks, beaches, country fairs, markets ect ect. some areas you will need premission though. and you just never know you might find something that pays the whole mortgage off.

i joined a metal detecting form for a nose around, it it seems pretty much everyone finds valuable stuff on a regular basis, at least a lot more than the hobby costs. with a few finding real treasure trove.

i can see your penny finding expanding into a whole new area soon :)

HOLA4415

yes a cheapo one can be had for £100 quid, which would probably do for coin gathering. i bet you would have it paid back sharpish then its profit all the way. there are loads of places worth doing, parks, beaches, country fairs, markets ect ect. some areas you will need premission though. and you just never know you might find something that pays the whole mortgage off.

i joined a metal detecting form for a nose around, it it seems pretty much everyone finds valuable stuff on a regular basis, at least a lot more than the hobby costs. with a few finding real treasure trove.

i can see your penny finding expanding into a whole new area soon :)

I'll have to have a look into buying one.

Although I'd have a long drive to get to a beach.

HOLA4416

I think some serious research is needed here. Are some months better than others for coin collecting? Is it seasonal? Is clothing a factor? Does regionalism come into play? Is Knightsbridge more productive than Wigan? Could there be a 'Jubilee' spin-off effect of any kind?

So much to consider...

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4417

I think some serious research is needed here. Are some months better than others for coin collecting? Is it seasonal? Is clothing a factor? Is there a 'Jubilee' effect of any kind?

I think the lighter days during the summer months tend to be more profitable as it's easy to spot money as you can see further.

During the winter months you've got to be virtually on top of it to see it.

Although it could be a good scientific experiment to mark where you see the money and how far it is away from you.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Seems he kept the coins in his house... Would've achieved his goal quicker if he'd paid them into the bank each time. Amateur.

Have to agree hardly in the premier league in this respect and lets be honest it's $620. Lost lots of compound interest by refusing to pay in as he found them.

Total fecking amateur in this respect. The way I'm going I'll easily have paid off more than $620 in under a decade. He's such an amateur at this I can't even be bothered to try and work out what $620 equates to in sterling.

I'll bet I've found half as much as he's paid in around the 3-4 years I've been doing this and he's been at this 1977!!!!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/mass-man-makes-last-mortgage-payment-with-pennies-hes-been-collecting-for-decades/2012/07/06/gJQAxDPZRW_story.html

MILFORD, Mass. — A Massachusetts man who pledged to make the last mortgage payment on his home with pennies has fulfilled that promise.

After warning his bank, Thomas Daigle dropped off about 62,000 pennies weighing 800 pounds in two boxes for the final payment on the Milford home he and his wife, Sandra, bought in 1977.