House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441

Or leave them in a glass of coke overnight.

I have found some that are barely recognisable as coins - what to do with those? Does the bank have to accept them?

As long as they weigh the same nobody's going to notice, if they're mixed up in a little bag of £1's worth. The bank just weighs them, they don't count them out.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

My mate, Merv, found a button under his desk...it was marked...DO NOT PRESS.

he pressed it and found 5000 pallets of new £20s in his parking space.

you can imagine his face when he saw that lot.

Oh how we laughed...and the really funny part...the chauffeur was stuck in the car for a week and Merv had to get a cab....oh the shame!.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Another very handy tip is to scrutinise your change closely. Got one of these back from a tenner recently - I make that a profit of 500% instantly!

I got $0.25 instead of £0.10 in change recently. Hardly a big profit, but ASDA tells me every little helps! :lol:

HOLA447
  • 8 months later...
HOLA448
HOLA449

@interstrateripoff - how's the found coin jar going?

A slim bamboo cane slid under vending machines and scraped sideways reaps a rich harvest of dropped coins...

Still going strong. Been around the City Centre during the weekend a couple of times found £1 on the floor in one pub and then found about 25p in another, it appears people don't value 5p's.

As for the bamboo cane I don't think I'd get away with it in a pub, my mates thought it highly amusing I was collecting the 5p, 2p and 1p on the floor of the pub.

Up 27p today.

Although it appears my washing machine is proving a good source at the minute, found £4.15 in it yesterday so that will get paid off the mortgage next week.

Edited by interestrateripoff

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Still going strong. Been around the City Centre during the weekend a couple of times found £1 on the floor in one pub and then found about 25p in another, it appears people don't value 5p's.

As for the bamboo cane I don't think I'd get away with it in a pub, my mates thought it highly amusing I was collecting the 5p, 2p and 1p on the floor of the pub.

Up 27p today.

Although it appears my washing machine is proving a good source at the minute, found £4.15 in it yesterday so that will get paid off the mortgage next week.

Did you find it in your jeans ?

If so, you might be able to levi-erage it

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Counted the jar's worth yesterday: £48.52 so far this year of money that people have dropped, thrown away, forgotten in swimming pool lockers etc. Aiming for the big £50 by year's end - tricky now the nights are longer though.

I find it harder spotting it in the dark, although it appears that my eyes are still good at noticing that little glint on the floor.

No idea what the total is this year but it's probably a similar amount.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

£49.16 now. Good couple of days B)

Yes - so far so good. But as austerity bites deeper won't those casually dropped 5p's and 10p's be eagerly retrieved by their once profligate, but newly potless owners?

I can forsee the tinkle of a dropped 50p causing a dangerous rush of the penniless in the days to come.

Are the days of the bonanza of pavement riches coming to a close?

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4418

Yes - so far so good. But as austerity bites deeper won't those casually dropped 5p's and 10p's be eagerly retrieved by their once profligate, but newly potless owners?

I can forsee the tinkle of a dropped 50p causing a dangerous rush of the penniless in the days to come.

Are the days of the bonanza of pavement riches coming to a close?

Nah. People don't replace trousers that have pocket holes...

Because of their size, 50ps are very rare to find. I pick up more 5ps than 2ps too.

Another 5p found today. That's £49.21...

• 1 month later...
HOLA4419

@interstrateripoff - how's the found coin jar going?

A slim bamboo cane slid under vending machines and scraped sideways reaps a rich harvest of dropped coins...

Grassy areas where people congregate are good.

Parkers Piece in Cambridge a good spot. On the way to work in days gone by I would always walk via the 'litterhenges' which would yield £2-3 a week

HOLA4420

Good December for penny hunting. Finished the year having found over 55 quid in total cool.gif.

29p found in Sainsburys earlier - not bad for day one of 2012. If I can continue at that pace for the rest of the year, then I'll still need a massive HPC before I can buy a place...

Edited by rantnrave

HOLA4421

Good December for penny hunting. Finished the year having found over 55 quid in total cool.gif.

29p found in Sainsburys earlier - not bad for day one of 2012. If I can continue at that pace for the rest of the year, then I'll still need a massive HPC before I can buy a place...

Strong start to 2012. Congrats on a solid 2011 performance, and keep us posted.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4422

Strong start to 2012. Congrats on a solid 2011 performance, and keep us posted.

Just short of £5 so far this year. Blinder of a month in Jan followed by an absolute shocker in Feb. March going well so far though...

Have a £'s worth of 1ps bagged up now and ready to take to the bank.

PS - does anybody know if banks will take really grimy / rusty coins? I have more than a few that are only slightly recognisable!!!

HOLA4423

PS - does anybody know if banks will take really grimy / rusty coins? I have more than a few that are only slightly recognisable!!!

If they are bagged up with other OK coins and the weight of the bag is right then they never seem to actually look at the contents when I pay coins in.

HOLA4424

Just short of £5 so far this year. Blinder of a month in Jan followed by an absolute shocker in Feb. March going well so far though...

Have a £'s worth of 1ps bagged up now and ready to take to the bank.

Yep, although as I don't collect enough to back up it's down to the teller. I've given some in which have been flattened some accept them others don't.

Gave in a 5p the other day where it was difficult to see what it was. She asked if I'd been given it her face looked well impressed when I said I found it :)

Got a free pound with my trolley yesterday.

HOLA4425

If they are bagged up with other OK coins and the weight of the bag is right then they never seem to actually look at the contents when I pay coins in.

I can vouch for this having recently swapped £70 worth of change in various states of decay from a full optic bottle I keep for shrapnel storage, you would be amazed how much you can acquire over the years from nights out on the beer and the odd coin in the street, it was hard finding a bag strong enough to carry it all in! :P

The hard part was obtaining enough money bags for the purpose, I think the bank staff was amazed I had so much disposable wealth just lying around! ;)