1452 replies to this topic

#316 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Number 8. You know the score, you can see the cot. They bought in 2004 for 350, have a baby, want another and couldn't possibly manage in a 2 bed with 2 kids. Need 450 to make the jump to the house they deserve...

I'm not bitter, much.

105 in 1996

165 in 1999

http://www.zoopla.co...15-9al/25442594

165k to 350k in 5 years, that's a profit of 37k per year on a starter home... Looking at the other 149 houses up to 450 they are competing with, I think the current owners will be very lucky to recoup their 350k, and suspect they won't get that.

#317 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Someone will buy it. As I've said, the number of utter idiots that live and buy in Hale is staggering.
That's 225k per bedroom. Street parking for the privilege.

I'm with manchester50 on this one ("I think the current owners will be very lucky to recoup their 350k, and suspect they won't get that.")

50p bet with you then. Let's wait for SOLD price. :)

Mind you, the advert does say "SUPERBLY SIZED." I'm thinking there must be one hell of a Tardis effect when you walk through the front door, as it looks pretty tiny from the outside.
Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

#318 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I'm with manchester50 on this one ("I think the current owners will be very lucky to recoup their 350k, and suspect they won't get that.")

50p bet with you then. Let's wait for SOLD price. :)

Mind you, the advert does say "SUPERBLY SIZED." I'm thinking there must be one hell of a Tardis effect when you walk through the front door, as it looks pretty tiny from the outside.

I'm with tbf, i still think this bubble has legs at the lower end of the market. Exhibit A: http://www.zoopla.co...eatured_listing

Off to view one tomoorow, wife got the 3rd degree today fom the agent. When told our budget, X, the agent said, you do know its on the market for X+? :rolleyes: Hasnt exactly flown off the shelf at X+

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday, 13 April 2012 - 09:26 PM.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#319 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'm with tbf, i still think this bubble has legs at the lower end of the market. Exhibit A: http://www.zoopla.co...eatured_listing

Off to view one tomoorow, wife got the 3rd degree today fom the agent. When told our budget, X, the agent said, you do know its on the market for X+? :rolleyes: Hasnt exactly flown off the shelf at X+

Well...

Of the 12 terraced houses that have sold in Hale in the last 3 months, the average price seems to be 350k, so I guess the house in question may recoup it's costs (obviously not after fees, unless it can sell for more.) But the 450k asking price seems a tad optimistic, which I think was the point being made. :)

I guess if the agent was so confident of a sale of the one you are going to view they simply wouldn't allow you to view it. You've made your budget clear, but still they want you to view it, so I guess the ball is in your court to a certain extent. As you say, it hasn't exactly flown off the shelf at the higher price.

But you are right, there is a contrast now between the bottom and non-bottom ends of the market in Hale. The one I posted a page or so back has had 30k knocked off now, and a glance at the sold data in recent months for stuff that has been sat on the market for 800-900k shows the actual achieved prices are much closer to 700k.

It'll be interesting to see how long this Spring Bounce at the bottom end lasts.

#320 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

The bit that astounds me is that a 2 bedroom house can still go for 350k. We've been looking at very nice 4 bed places in Cheadle area for 215k.

Probably most of those that have sold at those prices have been 3 bed, TBH.

Still, I couldn't agree more with your comment. If you are spending under 400k, Hale offers staggeringly poor value. Even in the 400-600k bracket, I still think what's on offer isn't that great. Beyond 700k, then much better value is starting to appear. Whether that value will "trickle down" as it seems to be doing in other parts of the North West remains to be seen. My own personal view is it will, even if that takes another year or two. When you look at the mess this country is in, and how totally priced-out people of newly two generations have become, I don't think any area in the UK is immune.

#321 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

The bit that astounds me is that a 2 bedroom house can still go for 350k. We've been looking at very nice 4 bed places in Cheadle area for 215k.

Does your child start school this Sept or next year?

We start this year and i'm sort of commiting to not moving schools once we start.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

#322 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

He's a mid september child, so it's the year after. He'll be 4 this September 16th.

We've got time to get moved before he starts.

I was over in Cheadle today but don't fancy living there. The school issue for me is unfortunate but its not as if i'm trying to time the market with my truckload of money. We are where we are, metaphorically, just glad we moved somewhere when he was 2.

There is no ladder.

JY

#323 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

I was over in Cheadle today but don't fancy living there. The school issue for me is unfortunate but its not as if i'm trying to time the market with my truckload of money. We are where we are, metaphorically, just glad we moved somewhere when he was 2.

Have some family (older folks) living over that way in Styal and some in Gatley. Don't know the areas too well, but where they live seems nice enough. They pop into Cheadle just for shopping. Just got to be careful you aren't directly under the runway approach for the airport, though.

#324 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

And then this just listed. A 2 bed mid terrace for 450k....

http://www.rightmove...y-37504640.html

ffs. It's these listings that make people think that anything cheaper is 'a bargain'...

How exciting!

http://www.rightmove...y-33164416.html

Although it always makes me worried when neighbours go up for sale simultaneously. You have to wonder if gary glitter has just moved into the street.

There is no ladder.

JY

#325 CapitalistPiglet

CapitalistPiglet

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Altrincham is in this week's Lets Move To column of The Guardian. "In Londonese, Altrincham is Kensington and Chiswick to Chorlton's Hackney: leafy and rich."

http://www.guardian....altrincham-hale

Still never met a BBC person in Alty though.

#326 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Still never met a BBC person in Alty though.

You clearly need to spend more time at the excellent cheese stalls. :)

#327 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

You clearly need to spend more time at the excellent cheese stalls. :)

Smell my cheese, you mother.

There is no ladder.

JY

#328 monks

monks

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Ok, don't know why I am offering this out to you sharp-eyed hawks, but look at this beauty that's just appeared on the market...

RightMove

Some great lines on the home page...

UNMISSABLE OPPORTUNITY..The house exudes character and charm...great potential to create a luxury Bathroom with all the trimmings!... VIEWING ESSENTIAL TO FULLY APPRECIATE

#329 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

Ok, don't know why I am offering this out to you sharp-eyed hawks, but look at this beauty that's just appeared on the market...

RightMove

Some great lines on the home page...

I'd seen it. Wasn't really my cup of tea until the view from the back garden sold it.

#330 bonse

bonse

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

looks to me as though its ready to move into. fab. dig that front room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users