1441 replies to this topic

#301 CapitalistPiglet

CapitalistPiglet

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Given up on even thinking about buying in Hale. We've been looking today at the Dunham end of Altrincham, Oldfeld Rd, and there is potential there.

Worse, been talking to EAs lately and every house I enquire about, no matter which one, the robot just says 'inundated' or 'already had full offer' etc etc.

Describing Oldfield Brow as 'The Dunham end of Altrincham' made me smile. Thats like calling Broadheath 'West Timperley'.

Also, if you keep looking at Altrincham/Hale despite thinking that the prices are too high, doesn't that suggest that there is a genuine reason where prices in the area are higher than,say, Sale. I love living here and I understand and am happy to pay the premium.

#302 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Worse, been talking to EAs lately and every house I enquire about, no matter which one, the robot just says 'inundated' or 'already had full offer' etc etc.

I give up.I have 20% deposit, a mortgage in place and STILL vendors are wanting big increases round here, and worse, there seems to be people happy to pay.

What price range you looking in?
Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

#303 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Will pay no more than 220k.

Great, you can do the donkey work and I can come in and gazump you for 220,001.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#304 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Will pay no more than 220k.

Plenty of 3 bed semi's in Timperley for that kind of money - and much of it in far nicer locations than the bits of "Hale" you'd get for that price. And in Sale, too. All IMHO, of course.

TBH, at under 250k, I don't think Hale offers much in the way of value. Mind you, if you want to do a bit of updating, there is stuff like this: http://www.rightmove...y-29987932.html

Could be worth a shot?
Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

#305 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Plenty of 3 bed semi's in Timperley for that kind of money - and much of it in far nicer locations than the bits of "Hale" you'd get for that price. And in Sale, too. All IMHO, of course.

TBH, at under 250k, I don't think Hale offers much in the way of value. Mind you, if you want to do a bit of updating, there is stuff like this: http://www.rightmove...y-29987932.html

Could be worth a shot?

Thought about that one. Been on the market for ages, had a paltry 5K drop since Xmas. Don't see those houses being worth more than 200K and with the work it needs, I'd consider 165-170K. However my wife says it is too far (walking) from both centres. Ditto she has veto-ed a probate house I am watching. She is fast earning the nickname Goldilocks. I don't think we could do anywhere east of Sandileigh Avenue really.

Lots of stuff on Moss Lane/Stamford Park road on/coming on the market. All those buyers from the heady days of 2007, free love on the mortgage market, happy to have snagged a 2 bed terrace now having to move because its too small, just as the market is teetering on the edge of implosion. I feel a twinge of sympathy but then I tell myself to get a grip. You make your bed, then you have to lie in it.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

#306 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

To make you feel slightly better about some of the silly Hale prices, this just came on the market near me: http://www.rightmove...y-33643117.html

#307 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Just viewed one on Seaman Road, just off Oldfield Rd in Alti. It's an OK 3 bed. Bought 2009 for 194k on at 215k. Aparantly, vendor insisting on full price. I did ask the EA as to why they felt that they'd accrued 10% in a market whereby they should have, at best, stayed still. Ea said that they'd decorated inside.

It's all very well what figures say from Nationwide, but people are still have their head in the clouds - and where are the EAs giving them advice that even my toddler can work out!?

I don't like renting but it sure as hell beats buying when you're dealing with these people.

There is no ladder.

JY

#308 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,889 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Just viewed one on Seaman Road, just off Oldfield Rd in Alti. It's an OK 3 bed. Bought 2009 for 194k on at 215k. Aparantly, vendor insisting on full price. I did ask the EA as to why they felt that they'd accrued 10% in a market whereby they should have, at best, stayed still. Ea said that they'd decorated inside.

It's all very well what figures say from Nationwide, but people are still have their head in the clouds - and where are the EAs giving them advice that even my toddler can work out!?

This one?

http://www.rightmove...y-37284431.html

Pleasant house and looks to be in decent order but I think it's really a bit too far down Oldfield Rd. There's some rather 'odd' houses down there with those 'prefab' bungalows etc. Quite a hike into Alty too but good for walking into Dunham along the canal. Back towards John Leigh park would be better.

With your toddler you'd want to consider school catchment too and I'm not sure where that would be.

On the plus side it's well away from the Chester Road which is constant choking diesel fumes. Plus it's not Timperley or Sale so points for that too.

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK
"We have now entered The Great Rebalancing 2007-20xx" - RK
"Gold will go to $1000, Silver to $18" - RK August 2011
QE 100bn and build 1m council homes - RK
Carney announces the launch of Empire 2.0 - Rise of the Banksters Oct '13

#309 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Unless looking for a church school it would be Oldfield Brow. I don't know anything about it other than the 'outstanding' ofsted. That area would suit me as we like Dunham (used to spend a lot of time there when lived i Manc) but Alty and the bus/tram are close enough for me. Not seen any suitable houses though.

#310 monks

monks

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

This one?

http://www.rightmove...y-37284431.html

Pleasant house and looks to be in decent order but I think it's really a bit too far down Oldfield Rd. There's some rather 'odd' houses down there with those 'prefab' bungalows etc. Quite a hike into Alty too but good for walking into Dunham along the canal. Back towards John Leigh park would be better.

With your toddler you'd want to consider school catchment too and I'm not sure where that would be.

On the plus side it's well away from the Chester Road which is constant choking diesel fumes. Plus it's not Timperley or Sale so points for that too.

We're looking to move on from the B-Streets in the next 12 months or so (been putting it off as long as possible), but can find very few properties with a useful 3rd bedroom.

In the example above, it measures 2 x 2.5m... this is NOT a bedroom and would struggle to hold a decent sized bed, let alone wardrobe, drawers etc. In fact, head height aside, it is seriously only about twice as big as the storage space under my stairs.

#311 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

I'm also assuming that the lack of new supply was also a Xmas issue so will see how Jan pans out to identify a trend. My next barometer will be a probate house in due course. May '11 sale agreed on similar but modernised house at 265. This house needs the works but I'm worried that an asking price of 225-230 will be snapped up in a week.

:(

10% more. *******

There is no ladder.

JY

#312 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

:(

10% more. *******

And then this just listed. A 2 bed mid terrace for 450k....

http://www.rightmove...y-37504640.html

ffs. It's these listings that make people think that anything cheaper is 'a bargain'...

#313 monks

monks

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

ffs. It's these listings that make people think that anything cheaper is 'a bargain'...

I see your "2 bed terrace" and raise you a bungalow "which needs updating" for "offers over 500K"

Mum needs a bungalow

I've studied the pictures carefully and I can't see any sign of life after 1984. Probably some greedy inheritance sale...

Edited by monks, 12 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#314 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

I see your "2 bed terrace" and raise you a bungalow "which needs updating" for "offers over 500K"

Mum needs a bungalow

I've studied the pictures carefully and I can't see any sign of life after 1984. Probably some greedy inheritance sale...

They're unbelievable. There do seem to be some odd leaps in what you get in Hale. Generally nothing much until 700+ and then something like this for 1m (at that for a year so let's say 900k) http://www.rightmove...y-29781395.html
Beyond my money but seems a big jump compared with what you'd get for say 700.

#315 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Number 8. You know the score, you can see the cot. They bought in 2004 for 350, have a baby, want another and couldn't possibly manage in a 2 bed with 2 kids. Need 450 to make the jump to the house they deserve...

I'm not bitter, much.

105 in 1996

165 in 1999

http://www.zoopla.co...15-9al/25442594

There is no ladder.

JY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users