Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0q0

Speed Camera Fine - How Long Until It Arrives In Post?

38 posts in this topic

6mph or maybe 7mph over the limit on a clear and empty road but yes that was speeding. Never had a ticket before in decades of motoring so can't grumble, even if it was an empty road, no one about, years of experience, very sharp brakes and dry conditions, blah blah blah, I accept my guilt and now await the ticket from the people who do the cameras.

So, question is: how long does it take for me to receive the penalty in the post and is it by recorded delivery? ie what happens if it goes missing in the post?

I assume the fine is £100 or more and penalty points, plus a slap from my insurers, oh joy of joys.

That'll teach me, lesson learned.

Anyone who knows how long it'll take, I'd appreciate the info.

edit

apparently 2 to 4 weeks from the answers here http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...17114655AA5Tvrp

something to look forward to eh

6mph or maybe 7mph over the limit on a clear and empty road but yes that was speeding. Never had a ticket before in decades of motoring so can't grumble, even if it was an empty road, no one about, years of experience, very sharp brakes and dry conditions, blah blah blah, I accept my guilt and now await the ticket from the people who do the cameras.

So, question is: how long does it take for me to receive the penalty in the post and is it by recorded delivery? ie what happens if it goes missing in the post?

I assume the fine is £100 or more and penalty points, plus a slap from my insurers, oh joy of joys.

That'll teach me, lesson learned.

Anyone who knows how long it'll take, I'd appreciate the info.

edit

apparently 2 to 4 weeks from the answers here http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...17114655AA5Tvrp

something to look forward to eh

£60 fixed penalty.You may be lucky though I have been flashed four times and only received one summonse.I contested this because they wouldn't give me the snap and eventually I got away with it. Even got £160 from the police for my travel to court.

I got caught 2 years ago, 36mph in a 30mph zone (Dual Carriageway)

Offered 3 points and fine £60 or a speed awareness course.

Chose course, cost £70+ and spent 2/3 hours being made aware of the dangers of speeding but avoided points.

One thing I did learn was when everyone complained that speed cameras were money makers for the police/government.

Was told that if that were the case they would put film in every camera, apparantly they target certain areas at certain times and at any one time only a quarter of cameras are loaded with film but they will all flash.

They say you should view speed cameras as tombstones as they are only ever put in areas where there have been more than one death and or serious injuries.

To answer the OP. If I recall I got my shitty letter within 3 months. Not sure of time limits.

Some lady next to me was caught by the same camera and was doing 32mph. I thoughT there was a percentage grace given, but obviously not.

Would also add that no speed awareness course would have been offered if I was 40mph or over in a 30 zone. Straight 3points and fine only.

Thanks for the posts.

It was a video camera, TruVelo probably, they're never off unless the link is broken.

Does the letter come Signed For/recorded delivery?

The letter MUST be with you within 14 days of the alleged offence or they fail to comply with The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (c.53) Section 1 (2) . Outside of the 14 days they are timed out and you must must write to them and tell them.

I have got off twice because of this.

This only applies if not stopped or spoken to by a police officer at the time of the alleged offence.

The letter MUST be with you within 14 days of the alleged offence or they fail to comply with The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (c.53) Section 1 (2) .

Thanks DB. Much appreciate your post and everyone's.

I don't recall since I started driving a long time ago that I've ever been stopped by the police while driving. Probably tempting fate now and they'll be stopping me everywhere for the rest of my life, will be 1/2 hour late everywhere I go for the next 30 years! :)

Last Bear - a few points.

Dorset Police:

Time between my 2007 speeding 'offence' and Notice of Intended Prosecution arriving by post - just 4 days.

The same 4 days between offence and notification for an offence in 2002.

This arrived by ordinary mail in a long envelope marked bold in red IMPORTANT - This is not a circular.

But the envelope was not recorded delivery.

Only 25% or less cameras are actually loaded with film - fact, so fingers crossed.

Last time I was caught speeding by camera, I was offered instead a £60 charge and attendance at a Driver Awareness Day. This meant a wasted, rather boring day, but no points or fines going on license, nor any need to tell insurers.

Drivers Awareness Days are seemingly run by contractors, not cops. Talks, Q & A, mild car crash horror vids, handouts, all pretty genteel. Cup of tea and a digestive free on Old Bill.

If you get offered a DAD, paying the £60 and wasting the day may be cheaper than points and insurance bump.

Good luck and an empty camera to you, sir!

Bosh - a few points.

Time between my 2007 speeding 'offence' and Notice of Intended Prosecution arriving by post - just 4 days.

Only 25% or less cameras are actually loaded with film - fact, so fingers crossed.

Last time I was caught speeding by camera, I was offered instead a £60 charge and attendance at a Driver Awareness Day. This meant a wasted, rather boring day, but no points or fines going on license, nor any need to tell insurers.

Drivers Awareness Days are seemingly run by contractors, not cops. Talks, Q & A, mild car crash horror vids, handouts, all pretty genteel. Cup of tea and a digestive free on Old Bill.

If you get offered a DAD, paying the £60 and wasting the day may be cheaper than points and insurance bump.

Thanks J.

I'll happily go on the DAD, might be a few racy ladies to chat up!

Not an empty camera, it's a videolink cam on all the time, taking me from the front (ooh matron), and if they can lip-read I'm saying "Oh f... I'm doing over 30!"

edit thanks for your update "not a circular by ordinary mail." I wonder how they or I can prove or disprove served within or after 14 days then? Seems odd.

Bosh - a few points.

Yup, was not plod at the course but contractors and was all played out during the working day so I was paid for it as well.

I stated I got my prosecution by post within 3 months but to be honest that was a guestimate. I am not sure how long it was kicking around the company as it was a company car and I only owned up because it was right next to my house :lol:

I am sure I remember the course being more expensive than the initial fine but i stand corrected.

I stated I got my prosecution by post within 3 months but to be honest that was a guestimate. I am not sure how long it was kicking around the company as it was a company car and I only owned up because it was right next to my house :lol:

14 day rule mentioned earlier does not apply unless the driver is the registered keeper and the details are up to date with the DVLA. Company car drivers and hire car drivers are on a loser in this respect

Last Bear - I've been into my records and added to my post. Have a read.

If they don't send it recorded delivery and it arrives after 14 days, I wonder how I am able to prove it came after 14 days or how they prove it came within 14 days if I truthfully find it didn't?

Odd. Anyway, thanks again.

Last Bear - I've been into my records and added to my post. Have a read.

What is the National Speed Awareness Scheme?

The National Speed Awareness Scheme is an innovative scheme that has been put in place by police forces across the UK to allow motorists caught speeding the chance to complete a workshop rather than be issued with three penalty points and a £60 fine.

Each force appoints a member of the ANDISP - Association of National Driver Improvement Course Providers to oversee and deliver the courses in their particular area. ANDISP has been established to make sure that such courses have a quality standard and are consistent in their teachings.

Who can go on the course?

The National Speed Awareness Scheme is offered to a number of offending motorists after they have been caught speeding. Usually the drivers eligible will be those that have exceeded the legal limit but not by a huge amount. Each individual police force will decide what their margins are. If you are invited to attend such a course you will be given a specific date, time and location to attend and you will need to accept the offer, or decline and take the fine and the points on your license instead.

What if I accept but I can’t make it on the day specified?

Please make sure that you leave in plenty of time and try to arrive early on the day of your course. If you are late it is likely that you will not be allowed to join the class and will forfeit your place. If you cannot attend due to illness you will need to let the course organisers know at the first opportunity (there will be a contact number on your offer letter) and you will need to provide a doctors note as evidence. Your case will need to be reviewed by the police before they come to a decision on whether you will be offered another place or if the offer will be withdrawn.

Do I have to pay?

Yes. The course fees are usually between £60 and £100, which you pay to the course provider direct - a similar price to paying the fine, although of course, avoiding penalty points can keep your insurance premiums down and save you money in the long run.

Edit to add website address http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/SpeedAwarenessCourse.html

If they don't send it recorded delivery and it arrives after 14 days, I wonder how I am able to prove it came after 14 days or how they prove it came within 14 days if I truthfully find it didn't?

Odd. Anyway, thanks again.

You must look on the envelope for the post office date and time of posting. Its usually a faint strip of printed information on the back. The police use a printed stamp which is not franked. Add two days to the time of actual postage. If it comes to more than 14 days from the time of the offence you are ok. It usually takes a couple of letters from you to remind them that they are useless.

Don't forget to keep the envelope as evidence.

You must look on the envelope for the post office date and time of posting...

Very clearly put and understood, much obliged.

It usually takes a couple of letters from you to remind them that they are useless.

:lol::lol:

Of course, I wonder what happens if it genuinely goes astray in the post? How do you prove you never got it when they send a summons for court?

I don't know why they just don't send it recorded in the first place, would cut out all this uncertainty.

And of course not all envelopes get that date stamp thingy on the back. Just checked my mail today, none of it has any date front or back.

Of course, I wonder what happens if it genuinely goes astray in the post? How do you prove you never got it when they send a summons for court?

I don't know why they just don't send it recorded in the first place, would cut out all this uncertainty.

And of course not all envelopes get that date stamp thingy on the back. Just checked my mail today, none of it has any date front or back.

AFAIK, it's the date on the letter/any date frank on envelope which proves the 14 day limit. As long as they issue within 14 days.

Have a look at the link I gave you earlier, everything you need to know is on there. Even tactics to avoid paying the £60/accepting points - but that means ignoring all letters. Eventually, local plod will arrive at your door and (verbally)beat a confession from you, and ask you to sign the paperwork. I was going to ignore letters, but it would have meant also not answering the door to plod for 6 months (time limit for prosecution).

They got you in the old Almera huh, old timer?

My one and only fine was for driving in the bus lane along Uxbridge road, early on a Sunday morning, literally five yards from the end of bus lane boundary, hardly a car in sight....

30 bloody quid!!

AFAIK, it's the date on the letter/any date frank on envelope which proves the 14 day limit. As long as they issue within 14 days.

Have a look at the link I gave you earlier, everything you need to know is on there. Even tactics to avoid paying the £60/accepting points - but that means ignoring all letters. Eventually, local plod will arrive at your door and (verbally)beat a confession from you, and ask you to sign the paperwork. I was going to ignore letters, but it would have meant also not answering the door to plod for 6 months (time limit for prosecution).

Thank you, yes I did go to that very good site, but there was so much to wade through there.

So I can expect some guests in a chequered uniform asking for my cheque if their NIP letter goes astray. Ah that might happen because post here ain't great, things really do get lost.

They got you in the old Almera huh, old timer?

My one and only fine was for driving in the bus lane along Uxbridge road, early on a Sunday morning, literally five yards from the end of bus lane boundary, hardly a car in sight....

30 bloody quid!!

Watch out coming off Edgware Rd slip to r'bout A406 Staples Cnr from Cricklewood end, apparently bus lane there, particularly if you leave the Casio/Staples Shop estate exit, do not go on the bus lane for even an inch or you get a ticket. Go straight out into the outer lane and don't use the bus lane in any shape or form to join the main traffic when leaving the estate.

Thank you, yes I did go to that very good site, but there was so much to wade through there.

So I can expect some guests in a chequered uniform asking for my cheque if their NIP letter goes astray. Ah that might happen because post here ain't great, things really do get lost.

Watch out coming off Edgware Rd slip to r'bout A406 Staples Cnr from Cricklewood end, apparently bus lane there, particularly if you leave the Casio/Staples Shop estate exit, do not go on the bus lane for even an inch or you get a ticket. Go straight out into the outer lane and don't use the bus lane in any shape or form to join the main traffic when leaving the estate.

I left the poo hole years ago, thank God.

In Sheffield I drive in bus lanes all the time, and I never get fined...

....it's GREAT!!! :lol:

I left the poo hole years ago, thank God.

In Sheffield I drive in bus lanes all the time, and I never get fined...

....it's GREAT!!! :lol:

You are a bus driver £5 please

You are a bus driver £5 please

Very good!!!

The bus drivers in Sheffield don't crash into innocent motorists like the London ones do though.... ;)

I don't recall since I started driving a long time ago that I've ever been stopped by the police while driving. Probably tempting fate now and they'll be stopping me everywhere for the rest of my life, will be 1/2 hour late everywhere I go for the next 30 years! :)

You have to watch out now The Last Bear, boy racer and a HPCer, that's tantamount to terrorism isn't it?

Actually, aren't these fixed penalties by post a terror tactic on the people by HMG.

People make a mistake (and I don't mean getting caught) and you are stressed out for a few weeks, and then some...