HOLA441
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
4 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

50% of New South Wales has a perfect climate for humans.
Rain is abundant, the weather is not too hot and the soil is ideal for agricolture. 

Half of NSW is around 50% bigger than Germany! 

6 million people live in this area and still they have an housing crisis! 

Years ago a favourite HPC topic was what percentage of the U.K. is actually developed.
Driving through the New Forest reminds me of a (possibly tongue in cheek) suggestion someone made  around that time that we should build on the National Parks "because hardly anybody lives there to object".

HOLA444
8 minutes ago, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

Years ago a favourite HPC topic was what percentage of the U.K. is actually developed.
Driving through the New Forest reminds me of a (possibly tongue in cheek) suggestion someone made  around that time that we should build on the National Parks "because hardly anybody lives there to object".

What’s your point? 

I am talking about NSW where in an area of roughly 800k km2 (Germany is only 400k!) only 6 million people live. 

Back in the days humans used to build houses and cities. These days it seems that we prefer empty lands.

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

HOLA445
2 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

50% of New South Wales has a perfect climate for humans.
Rain is abundant, the weather is not too hot and the soil is ideal for agricolture. 

Half of NSW is around 50% bigger than Germany! 

6 million people live in this area and still they have an housing crisis! 

Seems bonkers, I wonder what their laws are around building.  There should be virtually no upwards pressure on prices and rents as they can keep building.

Also, their population is only 27m.

Edited by Armus

HOLA446
5 hours ago, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

Quote from article:

"The only thing that could make it worse is if banks started collapsing," the head of the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute tells the BBC.

That sounds like the sort of thing someone says before banks start to collapse 😄

HOLA447
3 hours ago, Armus said:

Seems bonkers, I wonder what their laws are around building.  There should be virtually no upwards pressure on prices and rents as they can keep building.

Also, their population is only 27m.

There’s no rational explanation for the current situation over there. Australia should be one of the cheapest place to buy land and build/sell houses. Same as NZ actually. 

A mix of stupid planning laws like the whole country was as dense as Hong Kong and some central bank QE must have created this mess. 

Jeez, living with the parents because there are no houses available in Australia sounds like a complete failure. 

Victoria is as big as Great Britain. WTF had these people been doing for the last 30 y

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

HOLA448
9 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

What’s your point? 

I am talking about NSW where in an area of roughly 800k km2 (Germany is only 400k!) only 6 million people live. 

Back in the days humans used to build houses and cities. These days it seems that we prefer empty lands.

My point is that there is plenty of room left for development. Head towards Dorchester from here and you can go for miles without seeing a single house. At least Prince / King Charles supported the building of Poundbury providing he got to say what it looked like p.s. If you haven't seen it the NeoClassical Tesco in Dorchester is actually quite good.

HOLA449

“Why don’t they just build everywhere?”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_Australia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Australian_bushfire_season

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought_in_Australia

How many of you want to live on the edge of a desert, driving hours in 40C+ (aka stuck in traffic) to get to work so you can pay for grossly inflated food, 24/7 aircon, and a mortgage 9x your combined salary?

HOLA4410
On 12/29/2023 at 3:07 PM, NoHPCinTheUK said:

There’s no rational explanation for the current situation over there. Australia should be one of the cheapest place to buy land and build/sell houses. Same as NZ actually. 

A mix of stupid planning laws like the whole country was as dense as Hong Kong and some central bank QE must have created this mess. 

Jeez, living with the parents because there are no houses available in Australia sounds like a complete failure. 

Victoria is as big as Great Britain. WTF had these people been doing for the last 30 y

There are plenty of town ls where you can buy a nice house for a reasonable sun - check out Young in NSW. 

Thing is, no one wants to live in RARA Australia, least of all new immigrants. 

Everyone wants to live near the beach. 

If you ever find yourself flying from Sydney to Tamworth, as I do quite a lot, lion out of the window. Mile after mile of livable land that no one wants to live on. 

Take a look at this property on www.domain.com.au:

Centrally Located, Non-Strata Villa
2/13 Lachlan Close, Young

https://www.domain.com.au/2-13-lachlan-close-young-nsw-2594-2018839295

HOLA4411
On 29/12/2023 at 07:15, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

Another article about this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-67723760

It all sounds too familiar.

Particularly critical was what happened at the turn of the millennium, he argues. Until that point house prices in Australia had kept pace with income growth and the size of the economy - but this began to shift when the federal government introduced tax changes which incentivised the buying and selling of homes for profit.

Oz is a small country where the national government operates like Spelthorne Council...

HOLA4412
On 12/30/2023 at 10:39 PM, spyguy said:

Particularly critical was what happened at the turn of the millennium, he argues. Until that point house prices in Australia had kept pace with income growth and the size of the economy - but this began to shift when the federal government introduced tax changes which incentivised the buying and selling of homes for profit.

Oz is a small country where the national government operates like Spelthorne Council...

Australia’s population has increase by ~30pm since 2000 but there sure ain’t 30pc more homes. 

that’s the issue here. 

HOLA4413
On 12/29/2023 at 3:07 PM, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Victoria is as big as Great Britain. WTF had these people been doing for the last 30 

Mate of mine (architect) in Australia said its because of a shortage of land!

What he meant is a shortage of building land. Water is the issue. No shortage of land obviously, but a shortage of suitable land.

HOLA4414

Shortage of jobs too. All the decent jobs are in the main cities, ****** all out in the country unless you're a farmer or want to and can work on tractors.

I came back because I couldn't square the choice of city, suburb or country. None were a good choice for me and there's zero middle ground.

They really should try and get more light manufacturing and SMEs out of the cities and grow the regionals, but they tried and failed 20 odd years ago in Albury and daren't try again.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4415

Triple J hack had a segment on the broken housing market today.

Looks like they're following the UKs lead, haven't learnt any lessons and are looking at Help to Buy as the answer.

The greens are insisting negative gearing is removed before they reluctantly support it:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-12/greens-demand-negative-gearing-help-to-buy-negotiations/103453342